Re: Emacsen MUA

Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> writes:

> MH-E already handles attachments using gnus code, so I'll just find out
> how it does what it does when no attachments are present.

I believe Gnus (or rather Message) always calls mml-generate-mime,
which scans for non-ASCII characters, MML-denoted attachments, etc.,
immediately before sending.

> Thanks.  I don't expect that MH-E will get users _from_ gnus, but we
> might get users that find gnus a bit too complicated.  MH-E aims to be

Yeah, MH-E is definitely a lot simpler, and was much faster to learn.

> easy to setup and use. But back in the day I started using email, stuff
> like Evolution didn't exist!  So there's a crowd we'll never get.
> Personally, I don't think programs like Outlook or Evolution scale to
> 500 messages a day.

Another advantage of Emacs-based MUAs even for folks who don't hack
elisp is their inherent versatility; they typically do not require
window systems but can still put them to good advantage.

Of course, we're probably preaching to the choir here.

Finger amu@monk.mit.edu (NOT a valid e-mail address) for more info.