Re: DEB_MULEUCS_UNICODE=auto ?

On September 26, 2003 at 10:35AM +0800,
Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:

> DEB_MULEUCS_UNICODE=off makes emacs startup many times faster, but
> when once a month, someone sends me a utf-8 email, the mail looks
> broken.  I wish there was a DEB_MULEUCS_UNICODE=auto that would
> activate it the first time we encounter unicode this session.

That's difficult for me (I'm not Emacs guru).

I think that Mule-UCS doesn't know when a UTF-8 mail is used but
a mailer knows it.  For example, Emacsen mailer Mew (mew or
mew-beta) loads Mule-UCS's un-define when composing a UTF-8 mail.

> Or, with DEB_MULEUCS_UNICODE=off, there should be some warning message
> in the minibuffer saying why the characters look bad when we first
> encounter a unicode file this session,

I think that's a bug in Emacs, not in Mule-UCS.

Anyway, if you have a concrete code for UTF-8 pre-operation,
please show me.

--
Tatsuya Kinoshita