Re: FW: emacs-goodies-el restructuring

Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

> Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > >   It could be argued that `debian-changelog-mode.el' is also useful for
> > >   Debian users because it highlights bugs and lets users click on them.
> > >   But perhaps there should be a diminished user mode without the editing
> > >   commands?
> >
> > Wouldn't turning on read-only mode in the buffer have the same
> > effect?
>
> Yes and no.  I think a diminished debian-changelog-mode that only has
> read-only features (such a bug fetching) would be less overwhelming for
> users.  I don't know maybe not.
>
> Should `debian-changelog-mode' be moved to a user package?
> Or stay in dpkg-dev-el ?

If you decide to break it into two modes (say,
debian-changelog-mode and debian-changelog-view-mode) then I
guess it'd make sense to put -view-mode in a user package.  But
debian-changelog-mode is the reason I installed dpkg-dev-el (I
didn't realize until now that it provides other features too), so
I'd prefer to see it include debian-changelog-mode.  I mean,
that's a mode that developers who use dpkg use, so dpkg-dev-el is
a logical place for it.

Just my $.02.
--
"While the Melissa license is a bit unclear, Melissa aggressively
 encourages free distribution of its source code."