Re: It's Huntin' Season

Manoj, as Ian pointed out, I don't think your answer applies here.

Maybe this is due to my inability to explain what my goal is, as auctex
maintainer, or maybe it is due to the fact that you wish to address a
problem which is not mine.

I'm asking you're help, as well as that of any knowledgeable Debian
maintainer here, to help me solve my goal (which I think debian-emacsen
charter allow me to).  Frankly, in this thread I don't care a whit about
the "/etc/ configuration files" issue, and I don't want to make the
slightest point regarding it.

If you care to help me, I ask you to read carefully what follows.
Otherwise, you may of course stop right here.

I, the maintainer, don't want to store the system administrator decision
about enabling auctex by default in a configuration file, as I think she
has no need to.

I rather want she to take this decision through debconf; she should be
free to do "dpkg-reconfigure auctex" ad any time.

I don't think this bears any problem to people wanting to run their own
AUC TeX CVS version instead of the Debian package, or even both at the
same time.  No load-path will ever be messed with if they don't enable
auctex by default, and even if they do the version of AUC TeX loaded
won't be necessarily mine (i.e., that of the Debian package): it will be
the first one in the load-path; "(require 'tex-site)" has no load-path
hardwired in and does just that: it enables AUC TeX site wide,
regardless of what version of "tex-site.el" is considered first.  Now,
users may set the load-path as they wish in "/etc/emacs/site-start.el",
so I don't need to provide any configuration file just for this purpose,
and in fact I don't want to.

Please, refer to <[🔎] 87ofj6nnl2.fsf@hal.Olympus.INVALID> for more
background information, if you need to.

What I ask is: how do I tell Emacs to "(require 'tex-site)" on startup
if the user answered accordingly to that debconf question?

>>> "Ian" == Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org> writes:

Manoj> Either never change the file once created; or preserve user
Manoj> changes.

I don't want users to change any file, with regard to this issue.  They
need not.

Manoj> If you never change the file once created, you have nothing to
Manoj> worry about. It is only when people are changing files that are
Manoj> already in place in /etc do questions arise.

This means that if I need a file with "(require 'tex-site)" I may not
put that file in /etc/.  Fine.

Ian> Sorry, but I don't think either of you answer Davide's question.

MS> How much clearer do I have to be?

I think you weren't addressing the right question, no matter how clearer
you could have been.

You might tell me where else should I put that file, or what other
action should I take to accomplish my above stated goal.

Ian> Which is, WTH should he do to achieve the installation flexibility
Ian> he wants to provide?  I write this as someone who used auctex for a
Ian> while, and I very much appreciated having the choice.

Precisely.

MS> Why is my answer not an answer here?

[...]

MS> He should not over write any user changes.

User changes WRT this issue, in the opinion of auctex maintainer, should
only happen through debconf.

Adam> This doesn't mean you can interpeted as attempting to save
Adam> changes.  Must is must is must.

Davide> Should we change the Debian Emacs policy to allow me to put
Davide> them somewhere else?

MS> You can;t. These are configuration files, and they must be in /etc.

Yours Emacs add-on packages ones may well be all configuration files.
This one of mine it's not.  Really.

I hope it's now clear that I see a need for some other scheme to pass
lisp form to Emacs on startup which doesn't involve configuration files.
Don't assume a priori that this should only happen through configuration
files.  OTOH, if you don't think that this is a legitimate need, i.e.,
if you want to restrict package maintainers flexibility, please take
care to elaborate why.

Adam> Emacs policy is wrong in this sense then.  Emacs policy does not
Adam> replace Debian Policy, it enhances it.  And Debian Policy is
Adam> very clear about files in /etc.

Ian> This is a non-sequitur, isn't it?  The question is, WHERE SHOULD THESE
Ian> FILES BE?  The Debian policy argument implies they shouldn't be in
Ian> /etc.  So, where else?

MS> The files are precicely in the place they need to be. These
MS> are configuration files for the package, and hence, as per policy,
MS> they *MUST* be in /etc. Period.

I beg to disagree.

Configuration files must be in /etc.  Files in /etc/ must be
configuration files.  This is fine with me.

What I disagree about is the fact, which I think your wordings imply,
that emacsen add-on packages can't have some way to pass lisp forms to
Emacs on startup other than through configuration files.

--
Salve, | GNU PG (GPG) Key ID: 939686D5
Davide | <http://www.linux.it/~salve/>