Re: emacs19 supported? what about emacs18?

Hi!

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 01:21:03PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
>  ~ $ grep-available -Fprovides -spackage emacsen
> package: xemacs21-gnome-mule-canna-wnn
> package: xemacs21-gnome-mule
> package: xemacs21-gnome-nomule
> package: xemacs21-mule
> package: emacs20
> package: emacs21
> package: emacs20-dl
> package: xemacs21-mule-canna-wnn
> package: xemacs21-nomule
>
> That isn't enough flavors!?!

Nope, not if you're developing major or minor modes, which should run
on several flavors of Emacs. E.g. due to heavy changes in syntax
highlighting between GNU Emacs 19 and 20, an Emacs 19 is always
necessary for developing, if your .els should also run on Emacs 19
with even a minimum of syntax highlighting. (That's at least my
experience.) And Emacs 19.30 and Emacs 19.34 still seem to be
widespread (in comparison to Emacs 18.x which IMHO is a real oldtimer,
while Emacs 19 only is a youngtimer ;-).

That's the reason why I also would be glad like to see an Emacs 19
back in Debian.

> > I have to control myself to not jump on the throats of people when I
> > see [an emacs-like editor that doesn't use elisp]

*eg* How can there be emacs-like editors which don't use elisp? ;-)

> How so?  Personally, I think that font-lock mode at the console alone
> is enough reason to justify switching to emacs21.

Yep. But there are also reasons not to do:

> But you're not forced to use any of the new features in 20/21 if you
> don't want to.

That's wrong. You can't replace the bloated graphical menu bar in the
X variant with the slant textual menu bar of Emacsen before GNU Emacs
21. You also can't get rid of those fringes to the right and left of
each buffer. (If this is wrong, I would be glad, if someone could send
me a short Howto. :-)

  Regards, Ax -- made the sysadmin to switch back to good old Emacs 20 -- el
--
Axel Beckert - abe@deuxchevaux.org - http://abe.home.pages.de/