Re: gnuclient and emacs21?

Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel <rbp@isnomore.net> writes:

>> I only see that with gnuclient -nw file, which makes sense because
>> Emacs can't attach itself to new ttys, but Emacs can.
>
>         Do you mean Emacs can't, but XEmacs can?

Yes.

>        -nw This option makes gnuclient act as a frontend such that
[...]
>         DISPLAY isn't set, I'm doing this on the console. So that might be
> it? FSF Emacs can't attach itself to a different TTY but XEmacs can, so
> gnuserv with FSF Emacs won't work on a console?

Actually, that looks correct.  I thought that it would be able to do
the same thing that emacsclient does (pop up the buffer in the Emacs
in the other console, as it does under X) but apparently it can't do
that anymore.  It is fairly XEmacs-oriented... when gnuserv is
integrated into Emacs, this should work.

>         BTW, can XEmacs then use "frames" on a console (something like "M-x
> make-frame-on-tty")?

I believe so.

>         That's sad... Does anybody know if there are any plans of supporting
> that on GNU Emacs?

I don't know if anyone is working on it.  It would certainly be a nice
feature, but given the way the Emacs event loop works, or used to
work, I don't know how easy it would be to integrate.  ISTR that Emacs
uses a different event loop if it's on a tty or X, and XEmacs uses the
Xt event loop everywhere, which would make it somewhat easier to do
this feature.  But I don't really know if that's still the case with
Emacs 21.

> I like GNU Emacs and wouldn't like to switch over, but I've seen so
> much stuff working on XEmacs lately (and not working on GNU Emacs,
> or taking longer to be implemented) that I'm reconsidering...

Well, depends on your needs, of course.  Personally, I don't have a
need for anything which XEmacs offers that Emacs doesn't, and the
things I'd gain aren't worth the pain of switching (which I've tried).

I'd suggest reporting a gnuserv bug to fix gnuclient so it can still
pop up the buffer in a running emacs on another tty, as emacsclient
does.

Happiness is a hard disk.