Re: Should files in /etc/emacs/site-start.d/ be conffiles?

Andreas Voegele wrote:

> Peter S Galbraith writes:
>
> > I noticed a lack of consistency in this.
> >
> > The file I put under /etc/emacs/site-start.d/ was never marked as
> > a conffile, so I must have taken my cue from emacs-policy (which
> > doesn't mention it).
> >
> > For example, I see:
> >  /etc/emacs/site-start.d/00debian-vars.el -> not a conffile
> >  /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50octave.el      -> conffile
> >
> > What's the answer?
>
> Are there any cases where it makes sense to mark files in
> /etc/emacs/site-start.d/ and /etc/<flavour>/site-start.d/ as
> conffiles?
>
> Has anyone ever needed to modify one of the Emacs init files (besides
> /etc/emacs/site-start.el)?

I haven't, but, picking one at random, 50debview.el contains
this:

;; You might not like the key bindings that I chose:
(add-hook
 'dired-load-hook
 (function (lambda ()
             (define-key dired-mode-map "\C-d" 'deb-view-dired-view))))

So, someone might be tempted to modify it.

Is the consensus that we make them conffiles if they contain
stuff that is system administrators might want to modified, and
is difficult to unwind from some other init file?  (The
`define-key` above is pretty evil in this respect; you'd need to
create another hook and place it in the correct order to
overwrite it.)

Is that's the case, there's nothing controversial in mime, so it
won't be a conffile.

Can this be added to emacs-policy?  Who wants to file a bug
against emacsen-common for that?

Peter