Re: Gnu Emacs 20.7 and international fonts

Thanks for quick answers.

Kenichi Handa <handa@etl.go.jp> writes:

[...]

> > As for printing multilingual texts, to the best of my knowledge Emacs
> > requires international fonts in the BDF format in the directory
> > pointed by the `bdf-directory-list', by default in
> > "/usr/local/share/emacs/fonts/bdf", while the packages install them
> > only as *.pcf.gz in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/.
>
> > Now the main question:
>
> > What is the recommended way to configure Emacs for handling correctly
> > the HELLO file, and in consequence other multilingual files?
>
> If you just want to see them correctly on screen, I think
> installing intlfonts-1.2, including the installed PCF font
> directory at the head of your font path, and setting X
> resource Emacs.Font to "fontset-standard" is the best way.
>
> But, printing is a difficult issue.  If you use BDF fonts
> (by setting ps-multibyte-buffer to bdf-font), you can surely
> print all characters.  But, the result is usually uglier
> than printing by printer's builtin fonts.  What I'm now
> doing is to use buitin fonts usually, and use BDF fonts only
> for special cases.

Outside Asia we cannot use easily printer's builtin fonts for Oriental
characters; such printers are not accessible e.g. to a typical student
of Oriental studies. One can use Microsoft fonts, but for the time
being I am interested in using Emacs with fonts which can be easily
and fully legally redistributed (so I am using BDF fonts even with NT
Emacs).

Do I understand correctly that Emacs actually requires the GNU
international fonts to be installed in two formats: PCF for viewing
and BDF for printing?

If so, then I have a feature request: to make PCF format usable both
for viewing and printing. Should I submit it formally on
gnu.emacs.bug?

> I have a plan of making ps-print facility to select the best
> font method for the target text automatically (according to
> users preference order).  But, now we are working for the
> release of Emacs 21.1 and we have already freezed features,
> such a new facility is for 21.2.

To say the truth, I am not particularily interested in such a
facility. For high quality output I will always use LaTeX with such
extensions as Babel and CJK TeX.

Milan Zamazal <pdm@debian.org> writes:

>     JSB> Anyway, I think that any distribution problem can be sorted out
>     JSB> with Kenichi Handa, the maintainer (if I understand correctly)
>     JSB> of the GNU international fonts.
>
> I've already talked to Kenichi Handa about this some time ago and I know
> he works on it.
>
>     JSB> Package: xfonts-intl-european
>     JSB> Version: 1.1-9
>     JSB>          ^^^
>     JSB> What about the package for GNU international fonts version 1.2?
>
> I couldn't see much reasons to package the 1.2 version.  Once the 1.3
> version is released, I'll update the package.
> See http://bugs.debian.org/65201 .

OK.

Just of pure curiosity, do you intend to put Ethiopic fonts into a
separate package?

Best regards

Janusz

--