Re: Gnu Emacs 20.7 and international fonts

jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S.=?iso-8859-2?q?_Bie=F1?=) writes:
> Do I understand correctly that Emacs actually requires the GNU
> international fonts to be installed in two formats: PCF for viewing
> and BDF for printing?

Not exactly.  Emacs surely requires BDF fonts for printing
but that doesn't have to be what included in intlfonts.
Actually, source of the standard X distribution contains BDF
files for CJK characters.

> If so, then I have a feature request: to make PCF format usable both
> for viewing and printing. Should I submit it formally on
> gnu.emacs.bug?

I've already started to work on it, but, for the moment,
suspended.  Have you ever heard about VFlib (Vertual Font
library)?  I've half finished the work for making interface
with VFlib server so that ps-print can get any font data
from VFlib.  VFlib can handle BDF,PCF,PK,Type1,TrueType
fonts.

>>  I have a plan of making ps-print facility to select the best
>>  font method for the target text automatically (according to
>>  users preference order).  But, now we are working for the
>>  release of Emacs 21.1 and we have already freezed features,
>>  such a new facility is for 21.2.

> To say the truth, I am not particularily interested in such a
> facility. For high quality output I will always use LaTeX with such
> extensions as Babel and CJK TeX.

Yes, those surely give higher quality.  But, the above
feature is not only for quality but also for speed.  Using
builtin font is faster than downloading bitmap font data.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@etl.go.jp