Athena Widgets -- Emacs20

I'm new to the whole Emacs world (being a long-time VIM user) -- so please
bear with me.

Can Emacs20 be configured to use something under X besides those hideous
Athena widgets?  (Like for instance the Xaw3d or other widget chrome?)

Also, I tried installing Xemacs21, but was foiled by errors indicating that
it could not identify (during install-emacs) a reasonable default directory
for documents, executables, libraries, etc.

Do I have something configured terribly wrong?

Thanks,

-Brent