Re: Starting a diskless workstation on the main LAN

Hi,

On  Fr 02 Sep 2022 21:27:54 CEST, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:

On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 8:48 PM Mike Gabriel <
mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de> wrote:

I run LTSP fat clienst on the 10/8 network and they work well.
However, I don't deploy a standard Debian Edu setup for diskless
workstations, so I am rather clueless what is going wrong here.

Maybe it loads an image in RAM, and if the image is bigger than the size of
RAM the system is broken.
Or maybe it tries to do swapping (with a remote disk).
I don't know much details about fat-LTSP either.

Normally, the diskless clients mounts a squashfs image via NFS (this is the most recent approach).

The diskless workstation image does not get loaded into the client's RAM. This wouldn't fit in most cases.

I am not sure whether this problem happens only on my virtual setup, or it
happens on a real setup as well (with a 1GB RAM diskless client).

1GB of RAM for the diskless clients sounds too little. Here we start with 2GB (for testing in VMs only), 4GB for real machines, 8GB the better.

Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31