Re: New Debian from Microsoft Store using WSL2

[ Lee T. Davy - A3, 2021-09-23 ]
> I put the standalone EDU from USB on an old slow 32 bit so I could reverse to the WSL2 flavor.
> Still WIP with WTF Microsoft !
>
> Here is what the Debian from Microsoft Sore for WSL2 yields
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
>  deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main
>  deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main
>  deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main
>  deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports main
>
> Nothing in repository except doc ?
>

> ~$ sudo apt-cache search edu-

The above search produces an incomplete package list.

The Debian Edu package namespace comprises debian-edu- and education-

You should get the complete list running:
apt search ^debian-edu-
and
apt search ^education-

While it doesn't make any sense to install the debian-edu-install or
debian-edu-config package on top of a vanilla Debian system, some of
the education-* packages (e.g. topic related ones like education-music
or school-level related ones like education-secondaryschool) could be
useful.

With the exception of education-tasks, all education-* packages are
meta-packages.
An overview is available at https://blends.debian.org/edu/tasks/

Don't ever install any of those meta-packages blindly; on the command
line, apt show <package name> is your friend.

For more information about Debian Edu in general, see:
https://blends.debian.org/edu

-------

To turn a minimal Debian system into a Standalone Debian Edu one, you
should be able to use this dedicated script:

https://salsa.debian.org/debian-edu/debian-edu-config/-/blob/bullseye/share/debian-edu-config/tools/debian-edu-bless

On your minimal Debian 11 (bullseye) system, get the raw version:

wget https://salsa.debian.org/debian-edu/debian-edu-config/-/raw/bullseye/share/debian-edu-config/tools/debian-edu-bless

Make the script executable:
chmod +x debian-edu-bless

Just to be sure that name resolution is working during installation,
check if 'service systemd-resolved status' is active, otherwise run:
apt install resolvconf
systemctl enable systemd-resolved
service systemd-resolved start

Make sure you have at least 20 GiB disk space.

Install on top of vanilla Debian 11 (bullseye) using the preferred Desktop environment:
PROFILE=Standalone DESKTOP=xfce ./debian-edu-bless

(Instead of xfce, you could use cinnamon, gnome, kde, lxde, lxqt, or mate.)

-------

As far as the Windows operating system is concerned: I don't use it, so can't
provide any hint.

Hope it helps,
Wolfgang