Re: debian-edu-doc: reworking content of binary packages

Hi Frans,

[ Frans Spiesschaert, 2020-08-23 ]
> I think it could also work differently. When a developer prepares his
> software for internationalization, a translator can assume that he will
> welcome translations. The same could apply to the debian edu doc manuals.
> When we submit the documentation for translation (via the Debian
> localisation infrastructure and/or via weblate), it implicitly suggests
> that we find translations of it meaningful. In my opinion it is up to
> Debian Edu doc maintainers to eventually decide whether keeping manuals
> open for translation still makes sense.

Thanks for the explanation. Very convincing argumentation :)

> Adding a "Debian Edu Legacy Docs" translation project to weblate wouldn't
> be that much work, I hope, and it would be clearer for possible translators
> that those documents are more or less obsolete. This would make it easier
> for translators to set priorities.

Right, but see below.

> Back in 2014 when I started to translate Debian Edu documentation, I asked
> for it (https://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2014/04/msg00040.html).
> According to Pere translating rosegarden still made sense, while he was in
> doubt about audacity. At that time the ITIL manual wasn't translatable yet.
> While the latter contains some valuable timeless information, it also has a
> lot of outdated stuff. Also documentation must be constantly updated to
> protect it from becoming obsolete, I guess.

Yes, we shouldn't waste the spare time of translators with outdated manuals.

To come to a conclusion for myself, I've taken a look at the Audacity
and Rosegarden programs (and at all three manuals).

Audacity:
---------

The GUI has changed over the years and is nowadays translated into a lot
of languages (menu items, mouse over information), see:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/languages.html#lang

The Audacity manual screenshots contain a lot of information, but don't
match the GUI anymore. It also doesn't make much sense if a translation
shows the screenshots in English. This is the case for all translations
with (fr) as the only exception.

A lot of up-to-date information is available, e.g. see:
https://manual.audacityteam.org

My opinion: maybe useful in parts, but not what you would qualify as a
manual for users. Keep it on wiki.debian.org with a remark like
'Outdated, but still useful in parts'. Drop it from weblate. Ship
already existing translations in legacy packages.

Rosegarden:
-----------

Different GUI compared to the one from years ago, translated into 21
languages (12 fully translated), see:
https://salsa.debian.org/multimedia-team/rosegarden/-/tree/master/data/locale

While the Rosegarden manual screenshots are available in {en,fr,nb},
they are outdated as well. Further, installation instructions (QjackCtl,
Qsynth, soundfont) are from ancient times.

A lot of up-to-date information is available, e.g. see:
https://www.rosegardenmusic.com/tour/

Hence the same suggestion as for the Audacity manual.

ITIL:
-----

The extremely outdated part about Coyote firewall has been excluded from
the AllInOne page recently, see:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/ITIL/AllInOne?action=info

More content could be excluded, e.g. these sections:
<<Include(DebianEdu/Documentation/ITIL/Infrastructure)>>
<<Include(DebianEdu/Documentation/ITIL/InfrastructureSetup)>>
<<Include(DebianEdu/Documentation/ITIL/UsefulCommands)>>

But I'm undecided if this is a good idea, maybe better keep it like it
is now and treat it like the Audacity and Rosegarden manuals.

Wolfgang