Re: Using Debian-edu together with Windows Multipoint Servers?

Wolfgang Schweer <w.schweer@gmx.de> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 5., P, 0:27):

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 08:18:03PM +0200, Csányi Pál wrote:
> > Multi Point Servers ( MPS ) serves the 'Wyse' thin clients.
> > MPS are connected currently to the LinuxSchools Karoshi Server.
> >
> > Karoshi Server is the Main server which allow for thin clients to
> > login to the Karoshi server as Samba users - I think.
> > So, when I created the users - students accounts on Karoshi server,
> > after that a student can login from a thin client - through an MPS -
> > so so the student can find it's home directory - which is actually on
> > Karoshi server.
> >
> > MPS are connected to the Karoshi - Main server so so from thin clients
> > users can access the Internet too.
> >
> > Karoshi server through Web Management allow to Filter the Internet
> > access among others.
> >
> > My question is: can a Debian Edu Main server ( installed as combined
> > with a Workstation ) replace such Karoshi server?
>
> If I understand it correctly, the setup at your school requires to join
> the three Windows servers to a Samba4 domain. This is possible with
> Debian Edu as well, if Administrator rights are available on the Windows
> machines.

Yes, we have Administrator rights on the Windows server machines.
How can I set those machines up for Samba4 domain?

> Debian Edu doesn't provide an Internet content filter out of the box, it
> would need some knowledge to set up such a service. It is possible,
> though, to block Internet access for groups.

I think it is good to block Internet access for group.

> So while it should be possible to replace the existing Karoshi server in
> theory, it would need some work.

I will try to install Debian Edu ( combined the Main server with the
Workstation ) and try to setup Windows Servers for Samba4 today, if I
get help on setting up MPS machines for Samba4.

--
Best, Pali