Re: Need some direction with edu packages ported from ubuntu to debian

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 1:24 PM Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de> wrote:

How do you handle the DHCP / PXE boot stuff in a class room that
already has DHCP setup for the site?

These docs answer your question:
https://github.com/docker-scripts/dev--LTSP/wiki/LTSP-Modes-of-Operation
https://github.com/docker-scripts/dev--LTSP/blob/bionic/README.md

As LTSP FAT Clients or LTSP thin clients? I would get scared of having
15+ students logged into a VBox instance on my notebook.

It is based on LTSP-PNP, which means FAT clients. This should be OK in most
of the cases. Even RaspberryPi has at least 1GB RAM, which is enough
to work as a FAT client. We are planning to add support for RaspberryPi clients.

However we are planning to add support for thin clients as well, if possible.
Laptops with 8GB of RAM are becoming common nowadays, and some people
may even have more RAM. So, it should not be so scary to run LTSP with thin clients.
A difficulty may be the speed of the LAN (the switch that is used on the LAN).

Dashamir