Re: Questions regarding boot parameter edu-skip-ltsp-make-client

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 05:02:56PM +0200, roman.meier@gismap.ch wrote:
>> Going through the DebianEdu manual I came across the boot parameter
>> 'edu-skip-ltsp-make-client'.
> [..]
>> Couldn't a 'failed' installation be prevented by using the boot
>> parameter above?
>
> It doesn't work out of the box.
>
> But you could try to install a combi server offline following these
> steps:
>
> Unplug all (real, virtual) network cables.
>
> Add 'edu-skip-ltsp-make-client' as kernel param (see manual) to build
> the chroot for Thin Clients as a first step. See the manual for details.
>
> Continue the installation as usual. DHCP will fail, choose 'Don't
> configure the network at this time' or some such.
>
> If 'Select and install software' is at 10%' wait a minute or two, then
> hit <CTRL-ALT-F2> and activate the console to get a shell: a file inside
> the Debian Installer target has to be modified (editor 'nano' is used,
> so basic knowledge about nano is needed).
>
> The USB ISO image Release file is rated as expired; to work around this
> issue, run
>
> 'nano
> target/usr/share/ltsp/plugins/ltsp-build-client/Debian-custom/015-edu-apt-source'
> (Use <TAB>; it works in the Debian Installer environment, just try until
> the file shows up).
> Add an additional param to APT_GET_OPTS so that you have:
>
> APT_GET_OPTS="$APT_GET_OPTS \
>                --allow-unauthenticated -o acquire::check-valid-until=0"
>
> Save the modified file.
>
> Change back to the Debian Installer GUI (<CTRL-ALT-F5>), wait quite some
> time until the installation is finished (but really isn't yet).
> So don't hit return!
>
> Instead, change back to the Debian Installer console.
> run 'chroot target bash'
> run 'nano /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/apt/sources.list'
> uncomment the 'file:///' entry
> comment both 'http://' ones
>
> Mount cdrom:
> run 'mount /dev/sXX /opt/ltsp/i386/media/cdrom'
> (replace sXX with your actual USB stick device)
> run 'ltsp-chroot -m apt-get --allow-unauthenticated -o
> acquire::check-valid-until=0  update'
>
> Install the desktop of your choice, e.g. Xfce; several are ok as well:
> run 'ltsp-chroot -m apt install education-desktop-other
> education-desktop-xfce'
> (Choose <No> if prompted by jackd)
>
> run 'ltsp-update-sshkeys'
> run 'ltsp-update-kernels'
> run 'ltsp-update-image -n'
>
> run 'nano /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/apt/sources.list'
> and undo the previous changes.
>
> Change back to the GUI and hit <Return>.
>
> The combi server should now be usable with both Thin Clients and
> Diskless Workstations.
>
> Don't forget to update system and LTSP chroot once connected to the
> internet.

Hi Wolfgang,

I?m using the manual above to setup a server completely offline without
creating the combined LTSP image but just the one for thin clients. I?m
skipping the later steps regarding building chroot for diskless
workstations altogether.

The server is created apparently without issues, which is good news!

As expected the image is significantly smaller with 336mb. However, my
thin clients can boot on both subnets.

I don?t get a black screen. The display shows a few usual [ok] messages
and then booting hangs without throwing an error message.

Kind regards,
Roman