Re: Iceweasel & netbock

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 10:02:16AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Also, when Jessie yesterday switched to Firefox from Iceweasel,  our
> Iceweasel setup is ignored.  It is these files:
>
>   /etc/iceweasel/profile/cert_override.txt
>   /etc/iceweasel/pref/debian-edu-homepage-ldap.js
>
> I believe they must be moved to take effect.

The 'profile' and 'pref' subdir locations seem to have lost any effect.
Instead /usr/share/firefox-esr/browser/defaults/ is used, I guess.

As far as /etc/iceweasel/profile/cert_override.txt is concerned:

Even creating /usr/share/firefox-esr/browser/defaults/profile and
moving the override file to this subdir is of no avail. In this case the
override file is copied into a newly added user profile dir but the
content is zero.
However, the override file is also present in
/etc/skel/.mozilla/firefox/debian-edu.default/
and this is enough to get it into the user profile.

The file /etc/iceweasel/pref/debian-edu-homepage-ldap.js could be moved
to /etc/firefox-esr/ but then the ability to provide the homepage URL
via LDAP is lost.

To keep the LDAP feature, I used this script as a workaround (might be
smarter, I guess):

#!/bin/sh
#
# migrate iceweasel customization to firefox-esr.
# the cert_override.txt file is already located in the right place
# (directory /etc/skel on tjener) to work ok, so is skipped here.
# proxy settings are pulled via wpad and/or /etc/environment.

set -e

# check if host has networked profile; and yes, it's 'iceweacel-networked-prefs.js'
# by intention, the file is shipped like this since years, I guess.
if [ -e /etc/iceweasel/pref/debian-edu-networked.js ] && [ ! -e /etc/firefox-esr/debian-edu-networked.js ]; then
    ln -s /usr/share/debian-edu-config/iceweacel-networked-prefs.js /etc/firefox-esr/debian-edu-networked.js
    sed -i 's#iceweasel/pref#firefox-esr#' /usr/share/debian-edu-config/tools/update-iceweasel-homepage
    /etc/init.d/iceweasel-ldapconf force-reload
    if [ -d /opt/ltsp ] ; then
        for ltsp_chroot in `find /opt/ltsp/ -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d`; do
            chroot $ltsp_chroot ln -s /usr/share/debian-edu-config/iceweacel-networked-prefs.js /etc/firefox-esr/debian-edu-networked.js
            chroot $ltsp_chroot sed -i 's#iceweasel/pref#firefox-esr#' /usr/share/debian-edu-config/tools/update-iceweasel-homepage
            chroot $ltsp_chroot /etc/init.d/iceweasel-ldapconf force-reload
        done
    fi
fi

BTW, wheezy has got firefox-esr as well via security update.

Wolfgang