Re: dutch translation and some upgrade questions

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 01:51:25PM +0200, Simon Oosthoek wrote:
> I'm just getting my feet wet with Jessie and, though I'm not sure this is
> new, I notice one of the default directories under my new homedir is
> "Video's"
>
> That is the correct dutch plural of Video, but it's just WRONG to have
> single quotes in the filenames.
> * I'd like to correct this for our own setup, where would I do this?
> * In general, and if you agree of course, I would suggest this should be
> fixed upstream as well, because the amount of problems this could cause is
> unfathomable! (Fortunately, very few people use the Dutch translation ;-)

This isn't a Debian Edu issue. The translation is part of the package
xdg-user-dirs. So please file a bug against xdg-user-dirs.

A rather hackish way to 'fix' it atm would be to adjust
/usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/xdg-user-dirs.mo

> About the upgrade question, we have a wheezy tjener with quite a few
> modifications (though not always critical to the main function of it).
>
> Would the main function, namely logins and homedirs, be ok if I restore the
> backup of the old tjener's homedirs and load in a dump of the old gosa
> ldap-system, or are there some gotcha's between wheezy and jessie's ldap?

I guess so; iirc the LDAP changes could be neglected.
See the Jessie manual upgrade chapter as well.

Wolfgang