Re: debian-edu-doc 1.6~20150318~8+edu0~alpha2: Please update debconf PO translation for the package debian-edu-doc

Hi,

On Mittwoch, 18. März 2015, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 08:25:57PM +0100, Frans Spiesschaert wrote:
> > My confusion and mistake is due to the fact that I don't know well how
> > to manage a situation wherein I have modified locally
> > debian-edu-jessie-manual.nl.po, and while these modifications are
> > under review, that same file also gets modified remotely.
> IIRC the tool you want is 'msgmerge'.

yes

> msgmerge -U file.po file.pot (see: man msgmerge)
>
> Use msgmerge like this:
>
> msgmerge -U <so far translated, but outdated .po file> <new .pot file after
> a 'git pull'>

that should work, but there is probably an easier way - see below!

msgmerge is also what is used in the packaging scripts already... so you can
also use them!

> So keep a copy of your already translated file outside of your git
> directory.

definitly do that!

what you can also is:

1.) copy your .po file away
2.) run "git pull" or equivalent, let it "update+destroy" your work (you have
a backup, right!)
3.) run "git status", no files should be modified
3.) copy your backup .po file back in place
4.) run "debuild"
5.) run "debuild clean"
6.) run "git status" + "make status" and check that only your .po file has
been modified

The computer will do a lot more things than if you would do the commands
Wolfgang suggested, but I think this way is simpler to go+understand.

cheers,
	Holger

P.S.: regarding why I dislike transiflex:
	http://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html