Re: Jessie installation broken - systemd migration and partman

[Klaus Knopper]
> Hi Petter,

Hi.

> I'm afraid that the installation failing is just the beginning of
> problems, or rather, much work to do. systemd replaces quite a few
> services, interferes with acpid, consolekit, hal (if you still use
> that), automount. Even if you got a working installation and press a
> hotkey like poweroff, or close the lid of your notebook, you are up to
> some surprises, not even talking about all of your init scripts not
> working anymore.

Thanks for the warning.  Me too expect us to discover lots of problem
after this migration, and am eager to get started on them. :)

> There is a solution for the systemd dependency issue in Knoppix 7.4
> that (as usual) nobody from the Debian maintainer team will like, by
> adding a sysvinit package that provides systemd-sysv, so you can, for
> now, keep your sysvinit-based boot setup while the other packages,
> that now rely on systemd-logins session management like
> network-manager, libpam-systemd etc., and which would otherwise kill
> sysvinit-core, are still working.  I know it's a bad hack and I should
> do a proper migration some day, yet I still prefer my homebrewn
> startup system over the last and current standard in Debian and try to
> keep it working, still being upgradable.

If I understand correctly, this will not work proberly with Gnome, or
any services expecting the features of systemd > 204, so I doubt it is a
good way forward for us.

But we will see when we are able to boot an installed system. :)

--
Happy hacking