Re: fsautoresize issue

Hi Petter,

On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 11:15:56AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Giorgio Pioda]
> > Hi,
> >
> > right today a workstation hanged after automatic
> > dist-upgrade (managed by unattended upgrades).
> >
> > Investigating I found that the root partition was full.
> >
> > The strange fact is that the WS is in the fsautoresize
> > netgroup. So I'm wondering about the first line of
> > the /usr/share/debian-edu-config/fsautoresizetab config; is it so
> > that every partition is enlarged after reaching 90%?
>
> Yes.
>
> There is a bug in fsautoresize in wheezy, causing it to not do
> anything.  In Wheezy, we switched to ext4, while forgetting to update
> fsautoresizetab to handle ext4 like ext3.  So fsautoresizetab do not
> know how to resize ext4 file systems and do nothing in Wheezy.
>
> See <URL: https://bugs.debian.org/742131 > for the bug and the fix.
> It has not yet been rolled into an upload.  Sound to me like the
> severity should be upgraded.  Can you submit your use case into that
> bug report, to make it obvious to everyone reading the bug report what
> kind of problems the bug causes?

Strange. Looking at the /usr/sbin/debian-edu-fsautoresize I don't see
any reason why it shouldn't work for ext4. "resizefs" is compatible
and do most of the job.

And yes, the bug is really serious. I had to delete manually some
less important files to make space to be able to use lvresize...

For not very skilled linux sysadmins a tjener with such an issue risks
to be a dead tjener.

Regards

Giorgio

--