Re: Disk out of space in /var while installing Terminal Server profile

Hi Holger,

On  Sa 28 Sep 2013 10:55:59 UTC, Holger Levsen wrote:

Hi,

On Freitag, 27. September 2013, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>> have to be for the installation, but 120 GiB was not enough on my
>> test laptop.
>> uhm, for what profile?
> The Thin Client Server profile on its own, as reported by Mike at the
> start of the thread.

Mike reported the issue with an amd64 thin-client server with an i386 LTSP
chroot, which is a non-default setup. If that needs 120 GB I dont see it as a
blocker. (It should be documented in any case.)

@Holger: it mostly affects the PXE installation. Esp. if the host is
amd64 and the LTSP chroot is i386 (so arch-any packages are download
twice to /var/cache/apt/archives).

So are the storage requirements for an amd64 only thin client server correctly
in the manual?

AFAICT, there is no such thing as an amd64 only thint client server. The LTSP chroot always is i386. To avoid the issue one would have to install the Terminal server as i386, as well. However, installing 32bit terminal servers is nothing people should be recommended to do nowadays (memory allocation over 4gb). I know one could argue: install the server 32bit and get the amd64 kernel, but that is rather a hack IMHO.

In a nutshell, amd64 terminal server with an i386 will be one of the most common setups. And if the manual suggests installing those machines over PXE, people will (sooner or later) bump into this issue.

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM