Re: Analysis of failing Nagios ping check in Wheezy

[Philipp Huebner]
> Of course not, you're absolutely right with your goal to fix the
> cause.  It's only that I don't think diverting from Debian once more
> with another package in a separate Debian Edu archive is the right
> approach.

I agree that we should not add packages to our repository without
considering the downsides, which are considerable.  But some times it
is the best option. :)

> How likely is it for a fixed package to enter wheezy/updates?

No idea.  I asked the maintainer via BTS just now to see what his
opinion is.

> I would rather deploy a simple workaround for the current problem
> while waiting for the cause to be fixed inside Debian than create a
> new package hoping to hit the right version number.

So would I. :)

I just commited a change to debian-edu, moving the libnss-myhostname
package from the common to the roaming-workstation profile, causing
the IPv6 problems caused by the package to be limited to the profile
which can most benefit from its advantages.  After giving it much
thought, I believe this is the best way forward until we know how
upstream and the package maintainer will address the problem.

When a fixed package is provided in unstable, I believe we should
backport it to make sure roaming workstations no longer have the
problem at hand.  And for Jessie, I believe we should move the package
back to the common task, assuming the bug is fixed by then.

Now is a good time to object with a better plan, as the fixed
debian-edu package is not yet uploaded.

--
Happy hacking