Re: ISO size of Debian Edu installer medium (was: Re: [debian-edu-commits] r79504 - in branches/wheezy/debian-edu: debian tasks)

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 08:43:26AM +0100, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> What I normally do is get an 8GB USB Stick, dd the image onto that
> stick and then install from USB.
>
> I understand the requirement that we--in rare cases--need an
> installation CD/DVD for older systems (how old do they actually have
> to be? >5 years? >10 years? All BIOSses and UEFIs I know support
> booting from USB).

Even if the BIOS doesn't support USB key boot, you can get it working
with a tool (Plop Boot Manager) available at http://www.plop.at

It allows booting from USB via floppy or CD.

Wolfgang