Fix ltsp chroot setup in Wheezy (Was: [debian-edu-commits] r79344 - branches/wheezy/debian-edu-config/debian)

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 06:56:05AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Wolfgang Schweer]
> > Seems to be that there is no effect to Debian installer caused by this
> > script (which works quite well if executed manually).
>
> You should get upload rights to be able to test these things quicker.

Well, maybe. Would need some mentoring, though.

> > AFAICS ltsp-client-builder udeb is used for installation of ltsp
> > chroot. Any idea how to integrate the fix if debian-edu-ltsp isn't
> > used?
>
> I believe the proper place to add changes and overrides to the LTSP
> build is in /usr/share/ltsp/plugins/ltsp-build-client/Debian-custom/.
> It will be used by both debian-edu-ltsp and ltsp-client-builder.

I already had a look at those hooks, but IMO modifications there
wouldn't change a thing.  AFAIK the place for fixing the debconf data
base and doing dpkg --reconfigure -a could only take place in the
ltsp-client-builder udeb itself.  So my conclusion is to seek the fix
for the problem in tasksel/list of packages to install/preseeding
instead of working around the problem.

To figure out possible reasons for the failing ltsp chroot installation
I tried to install a thin client server with a thin only chroot by an
additional local preseeding of ltsp-client-builder.  (The commandline
argument edu-skip-ltsp-make-client didn't seem to work for some reason.)

--------------
# Workaround for dictionary-common
dictionaries-common dictionaries-common/default-wordlist Manual symlink setting
dictionaries-common dictionaries-common/default-ispell american (American English)
# Install chroot only for thin clients
d-i ltsp-client-builder/build-client-opts string --no-diskless-edu-workstation
# Force fast connection
d-i mirror/country string manual
d-i mirror/http/hostname string mirror.netcologne.de
d-i mirror/http/directory string /debian

The ltsp chroot installation succeeded this way, only some minor issues
in parts related to the stripped down installation. Link to log files:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8x21ujlMmwTcFlfWHM5OXJrek0/edit?usp=sharing

(testsuite/ltsp failed -- probably due to a non fqdn hostname, had to be
killed; NFS actually works.)

Wolfgang