Re: Debian-edu, bite-sized bugs and the road ahead.

in-line :-

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Hi shirish,

Hi Holger,

> first of all, sorry (again) for not replying earlier. I really enjoyed reading
> your mail with your observations and questions and wish you (and us!) best of
> luck with your plans and ideas to improve (IT based) education in India!

thanx.

> On Donnerstag, 24. Januar 2013, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>> I have been a lurker using the Debian-edu web archives for quite some
>> years. I have been given an opportunity to share info. about the blend
>> in a minidebconf which is organized to be held next month . See
>> http://funnel.fossmeet.in/2013/14-debian-edu for the short write-up I
>> have written up for it.
>
> please keep us posted how the event went! And have lots of fun! :)

Will do and thanx again.

>> I have seen the debian-edu discussions going through a big yin-yang
>> quite a bit of last year and the year before when the ambitions were
>> really sky high with all kind of interesting interfaces for younger
>> children being talked about but the team were not really able to bring
>> any of them to fruition. I guess one of the reasons would be the
>> number of projects most of the developers have and life and being able
>> to devote to new UI paradigms is and would be a big responsibility (as
>> well as handling criticisms, documentation etc.)
>
> discussions are "nice" (*), in the end it all boils down to (code|doc|
> translation) commits (or sometimes, other actions) though.
>
> what really matters, is getting the release out. for this, we need people
> writing fixes (and uploading them) and people testing and reporting bugs. And
> people writing docs, so other people can join in. thats basically it. quite
> simple, except for some details sometimes.
>
> (*) they can be more than that. but then they stop being just discussions.

true.

>> I did see that the documentation has improved than before,
>> specifically in reference to the implementation illustration shared at
>> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Wheezy/Architecture .
>
> Thanks! I'm glad the docs are useful and being used!

They are . The only gripe I have is about the press.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Presentations

I had to disturb and ask kaplan for couple of presentations as for
some reason they are not available here.

I have tried multiple browsers but unable to get the presentations and
I've been looking to get all of them.

I wish all these presentations could be in some debian infrastructure.

>> I did see the Squeeze release info. which came quite a bit later than
>> Squeeze release http://www.debian.org/News/2012/20120311
>>
>> Now I'll know in few days if my talk/sharing will be accepted or not.
>> If it does, could you provide me with a list of things college
>> students (Second year Comp. Sci. ) could take.
>
> was it accepted?

It was/is. :)

> [detail questions deleted]
>> Sorry for the longish mail but wanted to be thorough.
>
> I'll reply to your detail questions in seperate mails, so that each thread
> becomes short and more manageable.
>
> Are you subscribed to the list or shall we continue to cc: you?

It would be better if you would CC me as I really get swamped by mails
and it is a pain cleaning the mailbox. I would continue to lurk though
to catch any of the 'nice' discussions.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल