Re: Debian-edu, bite-sized bugs and the road ahead.

Hi shirish,

first of all, sorry (again) for not replying earlier. I really enjoyed reading
your mail with your observations and questions and wish you (and us!) best of
luck with your plans and ideas to improve (IT based) education in India!

On Donnerstag, 24. Januar 2013, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> I have been a lurker using the Debian-edu web archives for quite some
> years. I have been given an opportunity to share info. about the blend
> in a minidebconf which is organized to be held next month . See
> http://funnel.fossmeet.in/2013/14-debian-edu for the short write-up I
> have written up for it.

please keep us posted how the event went! And have lots of fun! :)

> I have seen the debian-edu discussions going through a big yin-yang
> quite a bit of last year and the year before when the ambitions were
> really sky high with all kind of interesting interfaces for younger
> children being talked about but the team were not really able to bring
> any of them to fruition. I guess one of the reasons would be the
> number of projects most of the developers have and life and being able
> to devote to new UI paradigms is and would be a big responsibility (as
> well as handling criticisms, documentation etc.)

discussions are "nice" (*), in the end it all boils down to (code|doc|
translation) commits (or sometimes, other actions) though.

what really matters, is getting the release out. for this, we need people
writing fixes (and uploading them) and people testing and reporting bugs. And
people writing docs, so other people can join in. thats basically it. quite
simple, except for some details sometimes.

(*) they can be more than that. but then they stop being just discussions.

> I did see that the documentation has improved than before,
> specifically in reference to the implementation illustration shared at
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Wheezy/Architecture .

Thanks! I'm glad the docs are useful and being used!

> I did see the Squeeze release info. which came quite a bit later than
> Squeeze release http://www.debian.org/News/2012/20120311
>
> Now I'll know in few days if my talk/sharing will be accepted or not.
> If it does, could you provide me with a list of things college
> students (Second year Comp. Sci. ) could take.

was it accepted?

[detail questions deleted]
> Sorry for the longish mail but wanted to be thorough.

I'll reply to your detail questions in seperate mails, so that each thread
becomes short and more manageable.

Are you subscribed to the list or shall we continue to cc: you?

cheers,
	Holger