Re: no home-directory on diskless workstations

Hi,

On Fr 11 Mai 2012 22:55:31 CEST Steven Chamberlain wrote:

If you mount SAN storage via iScsi instead I *think* the NFS server will
then be able to share it.  If so, the clients could be set up in the
standard way.

This creates double traffic and wraps in a protocol with another. Petter's approach is the one below... I would also recommend direct mounts to the NAS via NFS.

Or, the other approach I think is for clients to mount their home dirs
directly from the SAN NFS share.  That requires changing the
configuration on all the clients to do that,

No, it just requires to adapth the autofs settings in LDAP. No need to touch any client. Petter has given a good recipe in one of his former mails.

and the SAN would need to
permit access to anyone, so it doesn't seem like a good idea.

Yes, this is correct. All clients will need access to the NAS.

Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B

freeBusy: