Re: no home-directory on diskless workstations

Hi,

--- Den tors 2012-05-10 skrev Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:

Från: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
Ämne: Re: no home-directory on diskless workstations
Till: debian-edu@lists.debian.org
Datum: torsdag 10 maj 2012 11:23

[George]
>> Unfortunatley I cant try to make a manual mount from the diskless
>> workstation because I cant gain root access. I can ping the nfs-server
>> though. (10.0.2.10)

> To gain root access, you need to set a root password in the LTSP chroot.
> Use 'ltsp-chroot passwd root' as root on the LTSP server to do this.

Off course. Tx.

>> I hope my description is clear enough. This problem is starting to
>> wear on my nerves.. Hoping someone can help.  Noone using san or nas
>> for homedirs on debian-edu? If so, how have you set it up?

Yes, I will make an update. I dont fully understand what you mean with wrong approach. Should I instead use iScsi with lvm or another approach to mount the homedir? I like nfs ;) Its flexible and you can easily point it to another place only by editing fstab.. but Im willing to change my mind.

> I suspect you are trying the wrong approach.  Can you make sure to
> update the manual with information on how to do this when you have
> tested and managed to get it to work?  It seem like something that
> should be documented.

> I'll try to give you a pointer in what I believe is the right approach.

> You need to change the automount setup in LDAP to make sure it is used
> on diskless workstations (everyone except tjener).  The LDAP objects
> used by the automount service can be seen in /etc/ldap/autofs.ldif.

> To modify LDAP, you can use ldapvi.  To browse LDAP, I recommend
> jexplorer.

I tried out jXplorer, but its not very documented how to connect with it, together with debian-edu. I googled around quite a lot, but whatever I try I get "Opening connection to..." and when you click on something it says "Connected to disconnected". In the skolelinux manual jxplorer is recommended. Maybe it could be updated with apropriate settings?
Last try I used "localhost" as host,
Base dn "dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no" but Ive tried several other options.
As security I tried GSSAPI and user+password with
cn=admin,dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no and root pwd as password.
I dont seem to be able to connect.

> To mount from a new host (the NAS), you need to create a new automount
> LDAP object for this host.  If this host is called nas.intern, you need
> to add a LDAP object like the one already present for tjener.  This is
> untested:

> I might be an idea to change the exported name from home_edu to home0,
> to prepare for more home directories in the future.

Yes, thats how it is. its on the nas1 the export is called home_edu, because I have other "homes" there for the system we are using today. Ive mounted it in /skole/tjener/home0 to not to change to much from default settings.

Thanks for above information, particularly ldap info. That was very helpfull.

/George

--
Happy hacking