Re: Debian Local Area Network' (Debian-LAN)

Hi,

On 08/04/12 10:13, Giorgio Pioda wrote:
> 1) Subnet switch to an arbitrary 10.x.x.x/24 or even better 10.x.x.x/23 and
> also 192.169.x.x networks

I agree, that aspect of Debian Edu's network architecture has always
bugged me too, but I imagine it's because an address had to be hardcoded
in some of the configs.

Using a randomly-chosen 10.x.x.0/24 subnet means you can link several of
these subnets together with straightforward routing between gateway
machines, without resorting to awkward NAT.

It would be easy and very fun to link together neighbouring Debian-LANs
between homes/offices with wireless meshes and fast wired links.

Randomising as much as you can in network address avoids the chance of a
collision and having to renumber (and the chance is higher than you
might think, due to the birthday paradox).

This is similar in principle to RFC4193 unique local IPv6 subnets.
(Debian-LAN could implement those too!)

Or, you can run as many /24's as you need off the same mainserver and it
can still route traffic between hosts, so I doubt there's a need for a
/23 subnet or larger.  (Unless you really need for a broadcast domain to
span more than 254 hosts...).

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain