Re: ext3 flags in fstab: acl, user_xattr

Hi Petter,

On Fr 26 Aug 2011 22:33:54 CEST Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

[Mike Gabriel]
Hi all,

for Samba to work optimal with NTFS ACLs it would be really good to
have these two flags set on ext3fs /skole/tjener/home0: ,,acl'' and
,,user_xattr''.

What would be the best way of doing that? (Do people see a problem here?)

At the university, we avoid ACLs on the file systems because the
backup system is not able to restore them and our file servers do not
handle ACLs the same way.  I suspect at least one of the reasons apply
in Debian Edu as well (the restore problem), and thus we should avoid
ACLs as well.

Yes, this is an issue that has to be thought about. For homes we can do without ACLs and XATTRs. But I recommend ACLs on group shares that are used by different groups at schools (teachers+students) with versatile permissions. To take advantage of NTFS-stype attributes via Samba it is inevitable to enable ACLs on the mount point.

I will put a README in /etc/samba or place inline comments in smb.conf that explain this.

My approach would be to add some cfengine code to cf.homes.

I believe it is possible to specify extra mount options in the partman
setup, and it seem like the most sensible place do to it.

Ok, let's postpone ACLs on share until wheezy. For wheezy I would like to have group shares and also a transfer share (where students and teachers can exchange data)... But this is for later...

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B

freeBusy: