Re: SRV records can't point to CNAMEs (Was: r73002 - in trunk/src/debian-edu-config: debian etc/bind ldap-bootstrap)

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 06:03:02PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Andreas B. Mundt]
> > Remove duplicate A-records from DNS configuration to make sure the
> > reverse address mapping needed for reliably issuing a Kerberos service
> > ticket works.  To move services to another machine, add the machine to
> > DNS, remove the CNAME-record(s) and modify the service record(s) to
> > point to that new machine.
> > (Cf. <URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2011/01/msg00041.html> and tread).
>
> DNS do not allow SRV records to point to CNAME entries.  To avoid
> breaking the DNS specification, a different solution is needed.

That's why I changed them pointing to tjener.intern, the machine where
the service is actually running after the default installation.

To move services to other machines, these pointers have to be changed
accordingly. (With multiple A-records in place, you have to modify the
A-records and PTR-records to correspond to the new machine. In that
case you can leave the SRV-records untouched. Now you have to add the
PTR- and A-record to the new machine, remove the CNAME and modify the
SRV-record to point to that new machine.)

Is there a problem with that I've missed?

Regards,

	Andi