Re: gosa as ldap frontend

On Wednesday 28 April 2010 09:10 Philipp Huebner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 28.04.2010 07:49, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Very good to see work being done on the LDAP administratjon.  The
> > lwat package do not seem to receive much work these days, and we
> > might be forced to look for an alternative for Squeeze.  Cipux
> > might also be an alternative.  The key is to pick something as
> > simple to use as lwat, and with all the features we need.

I didn't follow the development of Cipux since years. All I know about
is likely outdated. Also the same for GOSA.
LWAT is in my view a temporary attempt to get the highly needed admin
tool, but it has never been accepted as such a tool. It is too buggy
and worse maintained from upstream and not usable for greater
installations as it misses the needed features for admins like a
command line interface. And as it's frontend is written in php, I
dislike to use it for remote administration tasks.
It was and is the most reason for the primary schools here at home to
change back to plain debian installations from Skolelinux. I'm
preparing right now a server with plain debian to substitute a
Skolelinux one tomorrow.

> Cipux is definetely no alternative for Debian Edu. Don't even think
> of it. I was and am forced to use it in Rhineland-Palatinate, and
> (excuse my rude language) it is a huge pain in the ass.

I hope, in the meantime your ass became painless, so that you are able
to tell us more detailed, which are the points of hurt? :)

> The teachers are complaining, and the the admin point-of-view is even
> worse.

> If you go that way, I'm out.

Don't be so ultmative, it isn't a good way for life to do so, as I can
tell you from my life. ;-)

Best regards, Jürgen Leibner