Re: Which video editor should we install by default?

14/12/2010 15:17, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 02:53:47PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>>> Hi, in my experience kdenlive and openshot are the way to go, I can't
>>> comment on pitivi since I didn't use it for a while. If you don't
>>> know openshot it's definitely worth a try.
>>
>> Thanks for the input.  Did not know about openshot at all.  The bugs
>> reported in <URL: http://bugs.debian.org/src:openshot > make me worry
>> if it works in Debian, though.  Do you experience the same problems?
>
> I don't experience any of those problems.  I suspect they are related to
> the use of debian-multimedia.org packages which are known to be
> problematic.  All bugreports but the one regarding translations have
> melt and python-mlt libs installed from that unofficial archive!
>

>  - Jonas

I don't experience any of the issues discussed in the bugs, and I use
debian-multimedia. I use the Sid version though (1.2.2-1). Some bug
reports mention Ubuntu packages, another a mlt version compiled against
a non-standard python version...

I used it this afternoon (Oslo time) to edit three rushes (1280x700,
about 400Mo each, .mov) and stitch them together, with transitions, and
I didn't experience any problem. I do have a fairly long wish-list for
Openshot but no problem with it lately. Cinelerra, Blender (whichever
crashes less at the time) are my main tools for true HD, I like kdenlive
and Openshot for quick and easy jobs, and I "trained" my wife to use it
for her school related videos, she liked it better than kdenlive
(something about the UI being simpler). Personally I am more a kdenlive
type of guy ;-) .

It's good to have all those options, looking a few years back video
editing was a nightmare in Linux, it has been going in the right direction.

Cheers.