Re: dvd space issues

Le 03/11/2010 13:33, Petter Reinholdtsen a écrit :
[Holger Levsen]
Hi,

Hi.

we could solve the DVD space issues by simply dropping the idea of
having multiarch DVDs and instead publish 3 DVDs, one i386, one
amd64, plus source DVDs.

What do you think?

I think we should evaluate the cost and benefits of doing this, and
make a decision based on that knowledge.  What problems and advantages
for the users, administrators, distributors and developers do you see
for the current approach and a splitted approach.  Perhaps something
for a wiki page to gather the arguments for and against?

Why is it that no-one is willing to spend time evaluating the packages
we install today, to see if they all make sense?  We have duplicate
functionally all over the place,

You are right.
I think almost all educationnal stuff shouldn't be installed by default. Because the software needed depends on the age of the pupils. A primary school doesn't have nothing to do with Blender or gHemical. A secondary school nothing to do with GCompris. Perhaps educationnal software could be installed on a post-config time with metapackages after first reboot of the server.

but no-one seem willing to spend the
time to figure out which package are good and which are not good
enough to be part of the default installation set.

I don't think developpers have to status on that. Only the user can tell if it is usefull or not.

 We get random
single proposals like dropping blender,

Yes it's random, but frankly, blender can not be the must used software. So used that it should be on the default installation. :-)

For the secondery school, we actually have to get rid of most of the default installation programs.

but no structured evaluation
of the packages we install.  How many chemical molecule visualizer do
we need?  Which ones should we keep?  How many mathematical graph
drawer applications do we need?  How many video players do we need.

I think the user should decide.

All these are questions raised by me on
seem to be interested enough and have free time enough to work on it.

Good questions.
I'll try to help.

Perhaps we should just set a cutoff point based on popcon.debian.org
numbers?  Perhaps we should only keep packages that are translated to
our core languages.  Perhaps we should drop those pulling in old a lot
of libraries.  Perhaps we should combine these and other criteria to
generate a score for each package and use that score to drop packages.
I do not know and do not have the spare time to spend on it.  But I do
know we install some crappy software and heaps of duplicated
functionallity, and believe we should start there to increase the
quality of the Debian Edu distribution.

I see three important things to increase quality and "user experience" as they say in privative world ;-) : - choose de default window manager. It could be then possible to have only some software installed. For example, gedit if you choose Gnome, and Kate if it's KDE. Same for the media player, browser... A WM based on Qimo (http://www.qimo4kids.com/) could be interesting for younger pupils. - choose IP addresses of the server. It's mandatory for us in "académie de Versailles" to use DebianEdu, I have actually to install an other router. - enhance ldap, to manage groups of users and machines. We actually use this

http://wwdeb.crdp.ac-caen.fr/mediase3/index.php/L%27annuaire_LDAP#G.C3.A9n.C3.A9ralit.C3.A9s

--

Louis-Maurice De Sousa