More on the future LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu (Was: Is LWAT completely broken in Squeeze?)

At the moment, we have no working LDAP adminstration tool in Debian
Edu/Squeeze.  This is a problem that need to be adressed.  On the
other hand we do have some options (lwat, cipux, gosa), and some
developers working to find a solution.

For lwat, there is as far as I know no developer willing to spend the
time needed to get it back in shape for Squeeze.  Upstream seem to
have abandened the project, with no new versions for a long time, no
commits to the svn and no replies to our emails on the topic.  The
last package is missing in squeeze, and is only in the Debian Edu
lenny repository.  Neither version is working in Squeeze.  Lwat work
with the schemas we use already, which are the ones from IETF and the
upstream source for the relevant packages (dhcp/pdns).  It can be made
compatible with our current LDAP structure by changing its
configuration.

For Cipux, no developer so far seem willing to spend the time to get
it working out of the box with Debian Edu.  Working packages might be
in squeeze, but it is unknown as no-one has tried to get them working
with Debian Edu/Squeeze as far as I know.  I do not know what schemas
are used, nor if it is compatible with the current LDAP structure.

For Gosa, Andreas have already spent the time to get it working out of
the box with Debian Edu.  Working packages are missing in squeeze, but
present in unstable and should enter testing in 9 days.  It require
its own schemas for storing information about computers, its edited
version of the dhcp schema and only work with the dnszone DNS schema
used by bind/ldap2zone.  Do not work with powerdns at the moment, but
could probably be patched to work with it if we switch powerdns to
scrict LDAP mode.

If Cipux is to become an alternative for Squeeze, someone need to
spend time to get it working out of the box with Debian Edu/Squeeze,
and allow us to test it to see how it compare to Gosa.

It would probably be a good idea to create a wiki page with pros and
cons for the various LDAP frontends, to make it easier to choose which
one we should use for Squeeze.

As we try to figure out a good LDAP strucuture for the future, it
would be useful to know that the structure do not limit our frontend
choices.  I believe that if we can design a structure that work with
lwat, Gosa and Cipux, we should have a good design that might even
work with the next frontend to be selected when we have to replace
whatever is selected for Squeeze some time in the future.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholtsen