Re: Is LWAT completely broken in Squeeze?

* Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> [100724 23:44]:

> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 09:27:27PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> >Lwat seem to be dead upstream,
> [...]
> >Neiter [GOsa nor CipUX] seem to have the simplicity of LWAT, but
> >perhaps they can be adjusted to provide a simple GUI for the
> >non-skilled admin, and a more complex GUI for the skilled admin?
>
> I still fancy your idea, Petter, of a slimmed down GUI compared to
> full-blown GOsa/CAT-Web/CATWeasel.
>
> Seems from the feedback, however, that Skolelinux wants/needs a tool
> like CATWeasel (I don't know if that is on par with GOsa or not), so an
> additional CipUX-based tool apparently is superfluous for Skolelinux.

CATWeasel is still not ready. And it is an alternative to CAT-web.
It depends on CipUX and is planned to have another look and feel
than CAT-web.
CATweasel uses django, so perhaps some DD with knowlegde of
django likes to help with packaging.

CipUX and CAT-web is coded in perl.

> I will probably develop such a tool anyway, as I still find it a good
> idea for my own systems (thanks, Petter!), but shall not waste more of
> your time here on the Skolelinux list about it. :-)

I am very interessed also and I think it should be discussed here
or at least on cipux-devel.

> If any of you find interest in such a slimmed-down non-web UI, feel free
> to contact me privately.

I like it public ;-)

> ...or post to this thread if you feel my judgement is maybe wrong and it
> could still be relevant also for Skolelinux use.

It will be relevant when ready ;-) So please start coding and
packaging.

I would like to help with testing, I like minimal tools.

>  - Jonas

Regards/AmicaLinuxement/Saludos/Viele Gruesse!
Kurt Gramlich
Projektleitung skolelinux.de
--
kurt@skolelinux.de