Re: How should we evaluate user applications?

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> The DVD is overfull, and options increase congintive strain for
> those that need to select which tool to use and confuse those that
> want to to use Debian Edu.  Not making a choice is doing our users a
> disservice.

I started on a list of "duplicate" packages at the end of
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Squeeze>.  It currently
contain this content, provided here to make sure you understand what I
talk about:

Duplicate targets

It is a goal to only provide the best application for a given task, and
avoid several applications for the same tasks. Here is a list of
duplicates currently being installed.

video player

Both kaffeine, mplayer, gnome-mplayer and dragonplayer is installed and
show up in the KDE menu Multimedia. mplayer is a dependency of
gnome-mplayer, which in turn is a dependency of gecko-mediaplayer used
by iceweasel for inline video playing and in our task list.
dragonplayer is a dependency of kde-standard, which is recommended by
kdebase, which is in our task list. kaffine is recommended by
education-desktop-other in our task list.

video editor

both kino and kdenlive is installed and show up in the KDE menu
Multimedia. Both are recommended by education-desktop-other in our task
list.

package manager

Both adept and synaptic is installed and show up in the KDE menu under
System. adept | synaptic is recommended by education-desktop-other and
pulled in that way, while synaptic is recommended by
system-config-printer, which is recommended by printer-applet, which is
in our task list.

LDAP viewer and editor

Both luma and jxplorer is installed. Both are in our task lists.

Scanner control

There are two scanner applications in the KDE Graphics menu. One is
called acquireimages from the kipi-plugins package recommended by the
education-desktop-kde package in our task lists. The other is skanlite
recommended by education-desktop-other in our task list.

PDF and Postscript viewer

Both gv and okular is installed and showing up in the KDE graphics
menu. okular is a dependency of kde-standard in our task lists. gv is a
dependency of maxima which is a dependency of wxmaxima which is in our
task lists.

We do not need several video players, PDF viewers or package managers,
or any of the other duplicate packages here.  We need to choose, and
stand by such choice. :)

Happy hacking,