Re: How should we evaluate user applications?

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 12:35:42AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Duplicate targets

IMHO we need some more virtual packages to relax this conflict a bit.

> It is a goal to only provide the best application for a given task, and
> avoid several applications for the same tasks. Here is a list of
> duplicates currently being installed.
>
> video player
>
> Both kaffeine, mplayer, gnome-mplayer and dragonplayer is installed and

Shouldn't all these packages

   Provides: video-player

> video editor
>
> both kino and kdenlive is installed and show up in the KDE menu

   Provides: video-editor

> package manager
>
> Both adept and synaptic is installed and show up in the KDE menu under

   Provides: graphical-package-manager  ???

OK, in this case I wonder if it might stretch the virtual package
idea to far ...

> LDAP viewer and editor
>
> Both luma and jxplorer is installed. Both are in our task lists.

   Provides ldap-viewer

> PDF and Postscript viewer
>
> Both gv and okular is installed and showing up in the KDE graphics
> menu. okular is a dependency of kde-standard in our task lists. gv is a
> dependency of maxima which is a dependency of wxmaxima which is in our
> task lists.

Here we have pdf-viewer and postscript-viewer and I just filed a bug
report against maxima to enable this as alternative which should enable
us to get rid of gv.  (Bug report with "no number yet" has severity
minor - feel free to increase severity if you think it is important for
Debian Edu.)

> We do not need several video players, PDF viewers or package managers,
> or any of the other duplicate packages here.  We need to choose, and
> stand by such choice. :)

I perfectly agree here.  Expertise should be expressed in
recommendations for *and* *against* certain choices.  It makes no sense
to let users find out that one alternative is better than the other.
However, we should be aware that some users might be picky about some
previousely decisions they made ...

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--