Re: How should we evaluate user applications?

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 08:22:31PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Us developers seem to have slightly different view of what kind of
> user applications we should install by default in Debian Edu, and this
> make me suspect we should formulate some guidelines and put in the
> release manual to explain what kind we try to provide in the default
> installation.  Here is a first draft.
>

>  * The target group for Debian Edu user applications are pupils and
>    their teachers for the age group 7-16 years old.

The "Gymnasium" in Germany takes at least 12 years and pupils start
school at about 6 years age. There are many pupils which are up to 18
or even 19 years old.

>  * The applications should be translated to the native language of the
>    pupils.
>
>  * For a given task / area, we try to provide the best available tool,
>    and only one tool.  This allow teachers to save the time needed to
>    evaluate several alternatives, as we already have done this.

The opinion what the "best" tool is will probably differ from user to
user, from country to country. But at least we can think about
removing tools nobody considers "the best".

>   * We prefer GUI applications.

Usually pupils can choose a special subject within their career at
school. In this subject, the stuff they learn and work on is quite
some sort of 'advanced'.
With respect to our project this would mean either learning
the basics of system administration, programming/simulating or
I could also imagine something like 3D modelling (blender).
Do we want to provide some of the stuff needed to do these things out
of the box too? A pupil not interested in computers will probably
never need them.

> A list of "important" language should be maintained to have some
> measuring stick when checking if the application is translated to the
> native languages we care about.  I believe it should include the
> langauges were Debian Edu have users currently, and the languages our
> developers care about.  I believe that is Norwegian Bokmål (nb) and
> Nynorsk (nn), German (de), Spanish (es), French (fr), Italian (it),
> Traditional Chinese (zh_TW) and Japanese (ja) at the moment.  Did I
> forget some languages?

If there is a good application, but missing some translations, we
should try to add the missing translation. It would be a pity to
remove great software only because some translation is missing.

Regards,

	 Andi