Re: LDAP GUI roadmap proposal

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 02:05:19PM +0200, Philipp Huebner wrote:

> something to be considered:
>
> I believe gosa and cipux to be incompatible. Both bring their own ldap
> schemes, and I know that CipUX breaks LWAT (at least partially).
>
> For these reasons I think we have to decide on either one, and that
> offering Gosa to the admins and a CipUX Frontend to the teachers will
> hardly be possible.

Good point. I would hope that a tool like CipUX, developed as I
described especially for our needs and by developers with a close
relation to skolelinux, can me modified in a way to be compatible.

> On the other hand, as far as I've heard/read/seen, GOsa and CipUX can be
> configured on a per-user basis which modules to display.

Correct and already implemented to work out of the box.

> I think it
> would be the best thing to decide on either tool soon, and than work on
> getting that fully implemented.
>
> Neither one seems to be perfect (yet?), but with limited manpower we
> should focus on one tool, not several.

That's absolutely right. We currently have 4 attempts running to solve
the issue: CipUX, GOsa, and now Jonas' tool. (The fourth one is the
sum of all ideas floating around but never get realized plus the time
spent trying to reanimate LWAT). For sure every attempt has its pros
and cons, some have been discussed here and others not.

Imagine all these forces joined in one direction -- .

But how to achieve this, don't ask me. It seems to be immanent with
the free software movement, I fear.

Regards,
	Andi