Re: Please suggest minimal LDAP admin GUI

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 05:36:52PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Hi Jürgen - and others,

Hi Jonas,

> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 04:43:03PM +0200, Jürgen Leibner wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 02:40:17PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>> I am considering writing a desktop application (i.e. not a web app!)
>>> [for CipUX] and it would then help tremendously to know which
>>> features was most urgently needed to implement.
>>
>> For me that is a kind of wasted time, because I cannot see any need for
>> our project this time in such an application.
>
> Good point.
>

>> What I see is and please correct me if I'm wrong, that there has been
>> done a lot of work by Andreas to get gosa in place for usage. Why not
>> helping him to get a working solution.
>
> I actively do my best to avoid PHP.  So personally GOsa is of no
> interest.

Yes, I agree to your choise avoiding PHP.
In the case of GOsa I see PHP as the lesser evil.

> But that's just me.  I certainly encourage those with PHP skills and
> interests to help out making GOsa work best possible.
>
> Or perhaps try update and maintain LWAT a little longer, so that
> Skolelinux is less in a hurry to switch such central part as the LDAP
> admin tool.  I would prefer if Skolelinux could transition more slowly
> with LWAT still available as fully working backup tool, over a "hard
> switch" which currently seems to be needed.
>

>> Or in your special case, why not make cipux alternativly usable like
>> gosa for our project, to have a choise while installing, which of them
>> one want to use.
>
> If I understand you (and the work done with GOsa) correctly, this is
> indeed what have been going on the last year or two.

No, that was not what I ment :)
My idea was, if you can do work for having CipUX installed from our
DVD as a choise between GOsa and CipUX for giving them both to the
users for testing.
Hopefully this would synergize ideas and gives a better feeling to
all about the things we need or would like to have.

> CipUX is officially in Debian Sid and Squeeze.  Anyone interested in
> trying out CipUX is quite welcome helping us test the quality of these
> packages. More info at http://wiki.cipux.org/development

Yeah, great work you are doing there, thx.

> (hmm - seems the mailinglist web interface is down currently - I guess
> you could simply start post to the list if you are interested in
> subscribing to it: cipux-devel@cipux.org ).
>

> The reason I "waste" time on yet another tool is it is a) really not
> starting from scratch but just another frontend to the existing CipUX
> framework, b) the packaging of both CipUX framework and CipUX CAT-Web
> Web UI should soon be finished, and c) coding a small Perl app is an
> excercise I need anyway for another project of mine (sms administration
> of sms messages for a theater group - for whom both simple GUI, flexible
> access and high reliability is crucial).

I know you as a man who is doing all well thought. So enjoy your 'wasting' time :)

> Thanks for your input.  They are appreciated, even though I disagree
> with them. :-)
>
> Regards,
>
>  - Jonas
>
> --
>  * Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
>  * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/
>
>  [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private

Regards, Jürgen Leibner

--
juergen@leibner.eu
GnuPG Key ID: 0x9CD43E5A