Re: Report from the Skolelinux project in Rhineland-Palatinate (RLP), Germany

Hi again,

On 24.06.2010 11:15, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> Hello Philipp & List(s),
>> 2) Features + Documentation
>> ----------------------------
>> All features that were/are being developed for the specific requirements
>> of RLP shall be documented soon in the wiki. Until now, they were
>> built-in with the images and hard to use/implement by other parties.
>> In the future it shall be easier for everybody to use these features, if
>> required.
>
> Correction: MOST of the new features were already provided as
> installable packages in Debian-format, though because of their nature of
> requiring changes in config files not owned by them, were not possible
> to build as Debian packages by a DM (at least this is what I was told).

I did not say they were not packaged, only that they were already "built
in". This doesn't say how.

> So, after installation of italc-rlp and linbo packages from our website,
> a round of configuration, key management and tests must follow in order
> to make the addons work, and this will probably not change with the new
> method. The only difference is that supporters will have to conduct
> every single step all by themselves instead of using a preinstalled
> system.
>
> Some changes, like workarounds for slow NFS over WLAN, are problematic
> to package because they have no "software" included, and are rather
> requirements and configuration addons. For example, we require(d) a
> kernel with cachefilesd feature working for NFS filesystem caching
> (mount option fsc). I believe that things like this will rather be
> documented and implemented by skillful installers instead of being
> integrated in packages.

That is exactly my point and what we agreed on last sunday.

> So, documentation and HOWTO generation now becomes more important than a
> working prebuilt system in our RLP project.

YES!

>> Specially developed software shall be offered as packages for Skolelinux 5.
>> The RLP specific documentation shall be put into a package, similar to
>> debian-edu-doc.
>> These packages will be made available on
>> http://rp.skolelinux.de/packages/. Naturally, the amount of packages
>> shall be kept to a minimum, to stay as close to Skolelinux as possible.
>> What can go into Debian shall go there.
>>
>> An AddOn-CD shall be created, containing the material to add the RLP
>> flavour to Skolelinux 5.
>
> Adding: The documentation package(s) and the Addon-CD (which Christian
> Külker promised to provide a "Hook Howto" for) will be built
> autmatically from what's in the repository and Wiki, to avoid duplicate
> work.

Correct, thanks for that addition.

Regards,
--
 .''`.   Philipp Huebner <debalance@debian.org>
: :'  :  pgp fp: 6719 25C5 B8CD E74A 5225  3DF9 E5CA 8C49 25E4 205F