Re: Cooperation between DebianEdu/Skolelinux and EdUbuntu ?

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
Hi,

On Montag, 7. Juni 2010, Arnt Ove Gregersen wrote:
> The board of the Norwegian FRISK ("Free software in the schools")
> organization that helps fund DebianEdu/Skolelinux development has received
> a request from the Norwegian Edubuntu community to look into how we can
> better cooperate.

What is their proposal to cooperate better?

The proposal was to explore ways we can cooperate and create synergy between the two projects.

We invited them (Ubuntu people) to
Bergen in 2005, worked with them there, showed them our distro and after that
they relased Edubuntu and we never heard back from them on this list or on
IRC.

I'm very curious about their ideas of cooperation today. And how they will
match reality.

Sorry, I did not read the original proposal that well before I sent the mail yesterday, mostly followed the notes from the FRISK boards todo list.

The proposal that was presented for the FRISK board was a result of a mail dialog between Knyt Yrvin (Skolelinux/DebianEdu) and  Rubén Romero Edubuntu/Ubuntu) that was iniated by Ruben as far as I know.

They suggest a joint DebianEdu/Edubuntu developer gathering where we can explore ways we can get better synergy between the projects. So I guess this is something we need todo first.

Knut and Ruben: Please correct me if I am wrong or unclear here , or something is missing.

> The board have concluded that we would like to invite them to join our
> developer gatherings and hopefully to be part of FRISK if the
> DebianEdu/Skolelinux community does not disagree.

I'm happy about working together at developer gatherings as I would be happy
to work together on mailinglists.

Great

I would be very unhappy to spend Debian
Edu / Skolelinux money for the participation of Edubuntu people. Canonical
has enough money and Edubuntu should be(come) sustainable on its own too.

I mostly agree, but FRISK goal is to bring Free software into the schools (independant of Linux distribution or os at all) so as long as we do not receive money only from the Debian related organization I do not see any reason for not including Edubuntu people as well as long as they benefit both projects and help us reach our goals. I believe both projects would strenghten us and help us deliver a better product to the schools , and hopefully we will be able to raise money from Canonical or Ubuntu community as well in the long run.

(the above is my personal opinion only, not part of the FRISK board opinion)

Have a nice day!

BR
Arnt Ove Gregersen
FRISK board member