Re: Cooperation between DebianEdu/Skolelinux and EdUbuntu ?

[sent again, cross-posted similar to original post]

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 10:56:49PM +0200, Arnt Ove Gregersen wrote:
Dear all,

The board of the Norwegian FRISK ("Free software in the schools")
organization that helps fund DebianEdu/Skolelinux development has received a
request from the Norwegian Edubuntu community to look into how we can better
cooperate.

The board have concluded that we would like to invite them to join our
developer gatherings and hopefully to be part of FRISK if the
DebianEdu/Skolelinux community does not disagree.

We know that there are people that have not been that happy with how Ubuntu
have operated before by making some extra work and "noise" for Debian
package maintainers and not contributed their translation back to the
community upstream etc. Hopefully this is something that has been or can be
changed.

If you have any opinions on this matter, we would appreciate that you let us
know. You can send a reply back to the lists (public reply) or reply back to
the board only styret@friprogramvareiskolen.no (not public) .

The FRISK board believe that a cooperation with DebianEdu and Edubuntu will
strengthen both Linux Distribution and make it easier to help adopt Free
software in the schools.

I warmly welcome any and all work strengthening Debian and (hopefully soon to become) Pure Debian Blends like Debian Edu / Skolelinux, as such work implicitly strengthen all derivatives as well, including Ubuntu and their derivatives like Edubuntu.

If Edubuntu wants to work with us as their root, then that's awesome! Let's use our international mailinglist for working on that: Please join this list, anyone interested in working on Debian-based school FLOSS.

If Edubuntu wants to work with us as (just any) peer school-related distro, then I personally have less interest in spending/wasting time on that.

Kind regards, and best of luck to Edubuntu even if seeing themselves as less related to Debian (than they in fact tecnically are),

  - Jonas