Re: Challenge/Declaration - To all DebainEdu/Skolelinux users: The month after release is documantation month. (feb. 8 - march 8.)

This is the "FIXME notes" in the manual (feb 6.)  :

(1) Pinter management

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/GettingStarted#PrinterManagment
------------------
If you connect the printer for the first time,
we suggest to run printconf  as root.
/!\FIXME: explain what to do when printconf does
not accomplish anything.

(2) Upgrading software

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Maintainance#Updatingthesoftware
------------------
Instead of using the command line you can also
use kde-update-notifier.
/!\FIXME: Explain how to use kde-update-notifier,
best with screenshots.

(3) Backup management

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Maintainance#BackupManagement
------------------
/!\FIXME: continue description of slbackup-php usage,
maybe with screenshots

(4) JAVA fom Sun

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/Administration#JAVAfromSun
------------------
/!\ FIXME: Should we recommend openjdk-6-* from main
instead documenting sun-java6-jre? Not sure if a plugin
is available...

(5) Access Skolelinux for outside a firewall

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/Administration#Accesstoskolelinuxserverfromoutsideafirewall
-----------------
/!\FIXME: paragraph about access from outside need to
be completed and tested.

(6) Installing single service machines for spreading
the load from main-server

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/Administration#Installingsingleservicemachinesforspreadingtheloadfrommain-server
-----------------
/!\FIXME: this is so generic its almost useless

(7) KDE Kiosk mode

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/Desktop#KDEKioskmode
-----------------
Note:: modifications to the profiles can be done
using kiosktool. However, unless you follow the
step below, your changes will be overwritten by
upgrades. /!\FIXME: this is broken and a bug should
be filed: kiosktool upgrades restore default desktop icons

(8) Changing the PXE menu on an LTSP server

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/NetworkClients
-----------------
/!\ FIXME: Probably (I think its partly described
above already) add more info about how to boot diskless
workstations instead of thin clients on 192.168.x.x,
and that you have to add '3' to the kernel argument
list in /var/lib/tftproot/ltsp/....

(9) Load balancing LTSP servers

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/NetworkClients#LTSPindetail
------------------
/!\ FIXME: This need to be changed as DHCP configuration is in LDAP.

(10) User groups in Windows

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/NetworkClients#ConnectingWindowsmachinestothenetwork.2BAC8Windowsintegration
------------------
/!\ FIXME: should user groups in windows better be explained
with lwat first, and then with an example for the command line?

(11, 12) Redirecting parts of profile

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/NetworkClients#ConnectingWindowsmachinestothenetwork.2BAC8Windowsintegration
----------------
/!\ FIXME explain how to use profiles from global policies
for windows machines in the skolelinux network
/!\ FIXME: describe roaming profile key for the global
policy editor here

(13) Monitoring pupils

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/TeachAndLearn#Monitoringpupils
----------------
/!\ FIXME: explain how to install and use italc - 511387
explains this quite well actually.

(14) Restricting pupils network access

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/TeachAndLearn#Restrictingpupilsnetworkaccess
Some schools use squidguard or dansguardian to restrict
internet access.
/!\ FIXME: explain how to install and use squidguard
and/or dansguardian

OleAnders Andreassen

Ole-Anders Andreassen skrev:
The Lenny manual (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny) has +15 "FIXME" notes. These should have the highest priority when it comes to improving the documentation.