Re: Challenge/Declaration - To all DebainEdu/Skolelinux users: The month after release is documantation month. (feb. 8 - march 8.)

The Lenny manual (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny) has +15 "FIXME" notes. These should have the highest priority when it comes to improving the documentation.

OleA

( The more we share, the more we have)

Den 04.02.10 23.38, skrev Ole-Anders Andreassen:
Challenge/Declaration - To all DebainEdu/Skolelinux users: The month after release is documantation month. (feb. 8 - march 8.)

I challenge every member of the community to step up and pitch in. Edit existing documentation and improving it, and adding new documentation, so we can have a shining example of user-friendly help. Even the newbiest of newbs can help by simply pointing out what they'd like to see, or even starting to write it themselves (it's a wiki, so others can correct any mistakes you make, don't be affraid to write english, most of us are not native english speakers). Our experienced users and admins could present usefull tools for administration, or cool features that could be implemented.

If the workload is spread evenly around , then it will take no time to document a lot of features i DebianEdu/Skolelinux. Good and easy understandable documentation is one of the most important things when it comes to spread the use of our fantastic distro more. After all DebianEdu/Skolelinux is the most important Linux distro when it comes to introduce Linux and free software in an early age.

Here are some ideas:

- Walk a beginner through network setup
- Walk a begginer through the use of an essential program
- The most important and usefull linux commands
- How to set up a firewall
- How to play videos, dvd, mp3, streams, sound...
- The perfect setup
- Make a video tutorial
- How to do testing (check list?)
- Hardware choices
- HowTo set up an external backup pc
- Update the wishlist at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Wishlist
- Get started with Moodle in DebainEdu
- Cool educational apps
- Installing and configuring printers
- Samba
- Troubleshooting guides
- Links and recomandations to other great guides that are relevant for DebianEdu
- Eye candy
- Connect your DebianEdu/skolelinux blog to http://planet.skolelinux.org
  and tell us about the cool stuff you do with DebianEdu.

To consider the value of documentation, you only need to look at the projects where it is scant or non-existent. The projects also become scant and non-existent as people find that setup, install and operation are beyond the native intuitiveness of the interface and move onto something more user-friendly - something with documentation. The value of an application is often measured by it's documentation. We have a lot of good documentation, and our manual are becoming better and better every day. But in my oppinion it is almost impossible to get enough :)

So let us put our efforts together to make our documentation even better.

Ole-Anders Andreassen