Re: Experiences with RC1 after running it for 24h

Tirsdag 26. januar 2010, skrev Ole-Anders Andreassen:
> I left iceweasel running when I left work yesterday,
> when I logged inn this morning, it was hanging.

A similar thing happened with OpenOffice on Diskless Workstations with
Skolelinux 3.0. It happened faster thou. When the PC only got 256 MB RAM,
the spell-checking exceeds the memory limit. Since the swap was not turned
on, it was not enough memory left. Linux kernel killed the spell-checking
process which made OpenOffice hang.

Iceweasel aka Firefox or plugins (e.g Flash) might trigger memory leaks.
The memory gets full including the limited swap area (which is not big on
the default Diskless WS setting). To prevent Linux crashing, the process
system in the kernel might kill a process which is needed for running
Firefox. Then Firefox hangs.

To check if lack of memory caused by memory leaks, you should check two
things:

-- First check the memory avaliable on the Diskless
    Workstation (RAM+swap).
-- Secondly you should check the memory usage log provided
    in Nagios. According to Petter, Nagios also monitors
    end user machines including Diskless Workstations.

    If that's not working, this tracing method might work:
http://linuxsysadminblog.com/2009/06/tracing-memory-leaks-with-pidstat/

Best regards

Knut Yrvin