Menu based ltsp login

Hi,

(New-ish-bie here. I have exhausted Google). Latest thing here in Woking, Uk is something called controlled assessment. Its fancy name for doing tests on computers.

In my case we have different visitors each week to the centre. Students normally use the bog standard ltsp style login which auto logs in to their student account on the Xserver depending on the terminal used.

Controlled assessment needs another login to locked down accounts on the Xserver with such things as no shared access, no spell checker, and no internet access....you get the picture.

So far and under time pressure the idea has been tested using an X over ssh from EEE laptops using Debian lenny to get wireless working and a "menu" script launched at boot. That menu gives two buttons:

1 - normal access
2 - controlled assessment

Whew - it works well. Supervision means no cheating and winding up option 1. We could lockout the normal accounts for the duration of the test if needed...

All good so far. The next step is to enable this kind of thing on the central ltsp login.

So my question is really where to start looking to port this menu to proper ltsp clients.

Should I try to integrate the menu script into the ltsp boot (screen_7=startx?)?
or look to modify the code for the LDM (eek)?
or just uses the EEE code on all the clients?
or have I just got the approach wrong?
or has this all been done before?

Big thanks all,

Berni