Re: Wishlist for features in Skolelinux

Holger Levsen skrev:
Hi,

On Montag, 25. Januar 2010, Ole Anders Andreassen wrote:
The last days I have been aware of the fact that there is to little
communication between users (teachers at schools) and delvelopers. So I
thought I should present my wishlist for features in future Skolelinux.

Good idea. I'd like to do a session about this at the gathering in February :-)

- A netbook version of skolelinux

what do you mean with this? An lxde desktop or rather something like moblin? (see moblin.org)

No, just debian-edu for use on small netbooks, where users homefolder are mounted at logon. Something that looks like the "things" Klaus has helped Sturla with.

- WiFi-controller based on wrt-hardware

what do you mean with this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_LAN_Controller
But based on cheap wrt-based equipment.
An easy way to controll several wireless AP at a school,
as a part of skolelinux admin tools.

- An easy way to freez all screens in a classroom. One button

italc and controlaula which are already in Debian can do this. So it "just" needs to be set up and we need to decide which of the two we are gonna make the default. (So I take your wish to do that.)

- Exam-mode, where communication, internet and so on, is blocked.

I have checed out Italc now, it sure looks like the tihing I (my teachers) want.

I seem to recall italc and controlaula can do this too.

- More than 50 static adresses for workstations (why is there a limit)

because a small subnet was choosen. (just explaining, not justifying :)

This seems to be documented now, and I am a much happier man now :)

- Send message to all users, or group of users.

italc again, afaik.

- Print quota
- A way to use the amount of free diskspace on "diskless workstations".
(they are sold with harddisk most of them)
- Digital signage app (info screen) that runs on the server.
- Wii whiteboard, or something similar.

_I_ find those less important, which makes me suggest, thats it would be a good idea, to prioritize such a wishlist too. Else we end up with 100 wishes and some are picked up a random, with (as the list gets longer) an increasing chance to pick unimportant ones :)

I agree. What about some kind of woting for features?

OleA

cheers,
	Holger